We launched the latest generation of the Zetasizer family, the Advance series. As a result, I received variations of two questions a few times: What is so good about the new version? Can you give me some bullet points? Well, glad you asked.
The Zetasizer Nano was highly successful over the last decade. So, how is the Advance different? Because the Zetasizer Advance series has the following additional advantages. Here is the Top 5 bullet point list:
- Faster size with adaptive correlation, and better size data, patented: It takes less time to make a measurement. You can also get data from samples that were too noisy before.
- AI guided, neural network help with size data quality advice: Even a novice without any prior light scattering knowledge can make sense of sizing data.
- Fluorescence filter wheel allows for extended applications with fluorescent samples, patented: Fluorescent samples like quantum dots cause a large background noise in the data, the fluorescence filter eliminates that noise and make a measurement possible despite the presence of fluorescence. (only for back scattering)
- Polarization filter, both vertical and horizontal polarization components can be detected, potentially gaining insights into particle rotational diffusion, patented. (only for back scattering)
- Novel 3uL low volume size cell, lowers sample volume and extends concentration range for 90 degrees: You can measure even turbid samples now at 90 degrees, which was previously not possible and required NIBS backscattering. (only for side scattering)
In addition to the above, there are further points for usability and convenience
For example, sensitivity
- Improved zeta sensitivity over the Nano range zeta potential: You need much lower sample concentration for a zeta measurement, saving precious material.
- And novel constant current zeta mode, to allow for high ionic strength measurements: You can get zeta measurements in high ionic strength that were previously not achievable.
- All models come with 100 disposable plastic cuvettes and 1 glass cuvette for size measurements, plus 10 capillary zeta cells: The system works out of the box for the majority of applications, no need to worry about special configuration
- Upgradability: Zetasizer Lab – Pro – Ultra is the easy, on-site upgrade path available. The red Ultra has unique particle concentration feature! The red Ultra can measure the concentration of particles. This previously required an orthogonal technique, and is now achievable through a special ‘particle concentration’ mode. This can save time over for example a virus titer.
- Built on established reputation: There are more than 100k publications with the Zetasizer. You can easily find a citation and published reference in your field of interest. You don’t have to just rely on our word for it.
So there you have it. A bullet list of the main features of the new Zetasizer Advance series.
What does all this mean for me?
The Zetasizer Advance has ease-of-use built into the software. From the entry-level Lab to the Ultra they all have the capability for size measurements. Each model benefits from advances including Adaptive Correlation, M3-PALS zeta potential analysis, constant current zeta mode and our deep learning-based data quality advice system. Here is a video with a short demonstration of how simple a size measurement with the Zetasizer can be.
Finally, for more videos demonstrating the software and how to obtain great results from your Zetasizer, check out our dedicated Zetasizer Advance Channel on youtube. You can find information on a range of topics, such as: Analyzing Size Data, Viewing and Reporting Data, Exporting and Importing Data, Simple Zeta Potential measurements, Advanced Settings for Zeta Potential.
If you have any questions, please email me at email@example.com. Thanks! While opinions are generally those of the author, our editorial team may modify some parts.