The pandemic has shone a spotlight on the need for biophysical characterization of key quality metrics related to the stability and interactions of biomolecules and complex molecular assemblies. Despite the challenges of the last year, I’ve been proud to witnessed how our products, services, and people have supported the fight to defeat COVID-19. This has been our contribution to the development of protein antigen- and mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines and antiviral drugs.
The most recent examples of our impact in this area are a collaboration on the stabilization and formulation development of COVID-19 vaccines and a compelling story shared by the World Street Journal featuring MicroCal DSC and Zetasizer Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS) systems. Our role in supporting scientists while they develop vaccines and the medicines that cure us has never been more evident.
Here are just some of the ways in which we can help:
- Characterizing liposomal delivery systems: by measuring particle size, polydispersity, and zeta potential, the Zetasizer range of DLS instruments can guide process and formulation development, and ensure batch-to-batch consistency of next-generation vaccines
- Plugging the Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis (NTA) into your workflow enables you to quickly measure the size and concentration of species in a broad range of samples, from viruses and virus-like particles to nucleic acids, liposomes and lipid nanoparticles, during the development and production of vaccines
- Using the OMNISEC advanced detection SEC system for high-resolution analysis of size homogeneity, aggregate content and composition in the characterization of excipients, and the stability of biologics and viral vectors during formulation development and process optimization
- Identifying inhibitors of biomolecular activity, profiling interactions that interfere with viral infection and replication for drug repurposing, and characterizing molecular assembly process with the label-free PEAQ-ITC (isothermal titration microcalorimeter)
- Profiling of thermal stability for assessment of batch-to-batch consistency and control of production process of vaccines with PEAQ DSC automated system – a golden standard tool in thermal stability of biologics, viral vectors, and lipid-based nano-assemblies
- Applying Morphologi 4 and Morphologi 4-ID for USP <788> particle size and shape analysis, and particle type assessment for USP <1787> characterization in biologics and vaccine development and manufacturing.
- Using the Mastersizer Laser diffraction for characterisation of adjuvants and for control of agglomeration in development of adjuvanted vaccines
- Finally, if you need a compliance-ready solution for vaccines development and manufacturing, Omnitrust – data integrity and 21CFR compliant platform – can help you ensure your data is compliant